Tax Litigation Law Office of Scott Kauffman
(949) 474-1820

Hackney Literary Award
Mighty River Short Story Contest Winner

Free Tax Help Available from the IRS

There are times when everyone could use some help with their tax questions. Sometimes it just makes sense to consult a tax attorney. There are tax issues, though, that can be addressed for free. The IRS provides free assistance via telephone, computer and in person. Some people even qualify for free use of tax preparation websites.

The Internal Revenue Service offers these free resources to all taxpayers:

In-Person Taxpayer Assistance Centers: If you have an issue that is not conducive to assistance over the phone or online, you can get face-to-face help at local IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers. The locations and hours are listed at under Contact My Local Office in the left tool bar section under IRS Resources.

Assistance by Telephone: Free assistance is available for questions on federal taxes at (949) 751-6456 (this is the Help Line for Individuals). You can call (949) 751-6456 for pre-recorded messages on frequently-asked-about tax topics, or to find out the status of your tax refund. To order free tax forms, call (949) 751-6456. TTY/TDD users can call (949) 751-6456 for tax questions or to order forms.

Community Resources: Volunteer Income Tax Assistance and Tax Counseling for the Elderly is available to provide free tax preparation in many areas. There are also other volunteer return preparation programs available for low-to-moderate income taxpayers. VITA sites are listed on or can be found by calling (949) 751-6456. AARP is the biggest TCE participant, so if you are interested in that program you can find information at or call (949) 751-6456 (888-AARPNOW).

Online Assistance: The IRS website at has a wide variety of tax information. In addition to answering tax questions, you can file your taxes for free through Free File. Orange County tax attorneys note that you can also track your refund on the site.

For more information about free services provided by the IRS, you can consult Publication 910, IRS Guide to Free Tax Services available at or by calling 800-TAX-FORM ((949) 751-6456).

Source: "Four Ways to Find Free Tax Help" 2/25/2011

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information