SCOTT KAUFFMAN, J.D., LL.M. (TAXATION)
LL.M (TRANSNATIONAL BUSINESS and TAXATION)
Scott Kauffman has devoted more than twenty years as a tax attorney to resolving the tax, estate planning, and business problems facing his clients. Scott has considerable experience in representing his clients before both Federal and State courts and agencies upon such issues as collections, liens, levies, trust fund liability, employee/independent contractor classification, estate and gift tax valuation, and tax residency issues. Scott also has considerable experience with entity formation, reorganizations, liquidations, wills and trusts, and family limited partnerships.
Scott earned his baccalaureate degree from Ohio University in 1975, graduating Summa Cum Laude and his Juris Doctorate degree from The Northwestern School of Law at Lewis & Clark College in 1977, graduating in the upper ten percent of his class. While in law school, Scott was a member of the Environmental Law Review and received the American Jurisprudence Award in Conflict of Laws. After graduating from law school, Scott worked part-time, first as a county prosecutor and then as a public defender while also working part-time as a sole practitioner.
Wishing to specialize his practice, Scott earned an LL.M. from the McGeorge School of Law at the University of the Pacific in Transnational Business and Taxation in 1985 and LL.M. in Taxation in 1986.
Scott is admitted to practice before all California state courts, United States Tax Court, United States District Court for the Central District of California and the Northern District of California.
Scott resides in Newport Beach, California, where he enjoys spending time gardening, reading and writing fiction. His first novel "In Deepest Consequences" was published in 2006 by Medallion Press, and he has published a number of short stories.
Areas of Practice
- 100% Taxation Law
- Tax Litigation
- Tax Collections
- Tax Evasion
- Tax Fraud
- California, 1985
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1987
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 2003
- U.S. Tax Court, 1987
- McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific, Sacramento, California
- LL.M. - 1986
- Major: Taxation
- Lewis and Clark College Northwestern School of Law, Portland, Oregon
- J.D. - 1978
- Law Review: Environmental Law Review, Member, 1976 - 1978
- Ohio University, Athens, OH
- B.A. summa cum laude - 1975
- Honors: Dean's List
- Major: General Studies
- IRS Announces Crackdown on Abusive Trusts, Orange County Bar Journal, April, 1999
- The New (Less) Innocent Spouse Release, Orange County Bar Journal, January, 2000
Written by the Office of Scott Kauffman